(WXYZ) — Gas prices soared 44 cents in the past week to set another record in metro Detroit and Michigan, according to AAA Michigan.
The agency reports that in metro Detroit, the current average is $5.12 per gallon, which is 44 cents more than last week and $1.42 more than this time last year.
In Michigan, the average price is $5.04 per gallon, which is 74 cents more than this time last month and $2.02 more than this time last year.
According to AAA, data from the Energy Information Administration found gas stocks decreased while gas demand increased, which have contributed to rising gas prices.
Another factor is volatile crude oil prices, which means pump prices will likely remain elevated as long as demand grows and supply is tight.
- Most expensive gas price averages: Metro Detroit ($5.12), Ann Arbor ($5.07), Flint ($5.01),
- Least expensive gas price averages: Marquette ($4.96), Traverse City ($4.97), Grand Rapids ($4.99)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell's Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Click here [u7061146.ct.sendgrid.net] for more information.